Monday, May 30, 2011

The Vitamin C myth

I currently have a mild but annoying sneeze-provoking bout of the flu. At times like these I am more likely than usual to remember my less-than-daily dose of vitamin C supplement. When I'm not sick I usually only take it when I remember that it tastes like orange lollies.

Anyway, just about everyone seems to recommend vitamin C for avoiding/surviving a cold. But while wondering exactly how effective it really is I found this somewhat sad little snippet at webmd.com:
The average adult who suffers with a cold for 12 days a year would still suffer for 11 days a year if that person took a high dose of vitamin C every day during that year.
Which I suppose means that my sporadic little doses probably aren't doing anything at all, except feeding my sweet tooth and delivering, potentially, a little placebo effect.

Mayo Clinic reckons that if you develop a cold while taking vitamin C (ie. this probably does not apply to me or other casual users) you can expect about a 10% reduction in the duration of the cold (15% for children), but there are no significant benefits if you only start taking it after the onset of a cold.

The real winners with vitamin C are people in extreme circumstances. If you're a soldier in the sub-arctic, a skier or a marathon runner, you could use vitamin C to cut your risk of developing a cold by about 50%. Some people get all the perks.

1 comment:

  1. Been telling people that it does nought after onset for years, but everyone choses to believe the alternative medicine industry prop anyway, no doubt because unlike real medicine, they are entirely unregulated and rarely bought to task for their claims of efficacy.

    ReplyDelete